Tuesday 21 August 2018

Pioneer exhibition at Gunby Hall

Pioneer Pond

I tentatively went to the first WITA Meet event at Mansions Of The Future a while ago, despite the fact that I, along with other artists in Lincoln, refuse to apply for studio space there, because of their diktat that we must give four hours' time at the space every week, with no indication that that time would be remunerated in a living wage, it's asked for voluntarily. And I can't volunteer one second of my time while I still have a massive gas bill that needs paying.

There I spoke to the very lovely Lesley Farrell, with whom I did my last ever voluntary work with after finished University at the Collection working with John Newling for The Noah Laboratory back in 2009.
Lesley spoke about her work for this exhibition at Gunby Hall, about the Lincolnshire feminist and suffragette Emily Massingberd.

I'm off on my summer hols atm, so I decided a day out to go and see the exhibition would be good.




Emily Massingberd was a teetotal feminist, who often dressed in men's clothing, as many suffragettes at the time did n the fight for equality. In her honour, there were some "mocktails" created.
With the 1980s neon, I later thought that if I were commissioned to work with this, I'd get footage of Tom Cruise in Cocktail and rotoscope myself all over him.

Pioneer "mocktails"





A vitrine in a vitrine?!


The Music Room at Gunby Hall

Portrait of Emily Massingberd at Gunby Hall
Where's the bow??!





Add caption

Still from a short film about Lincolnshire suffragette Emily Massingberd










No comments: