Friday 5 November 2021

Peace Painting research - the Lincolnshire Conchies

I'm trying to find a way to do Peace Painting workshops, and I have three canvases bought for me by my son, which I decided would be best to do three peace paintings for potential exhibition at a commercial gallery, or for funding applications for Peace Painting. 

My son was once an extra in The Young Victoria, and worked with Jim Broadbent, so I have been interested in the Lincolnshire Conchies. I remember there being some information available online, but when I search for it, some of it is unavailable / censored. It's almost as if there are some that want to forget about anyone other than dead British soldiers, which is censoring history, so I think it's very important to make sure that no one is erased from history to suit a military agenda.

I missed out on this Conchies play in 2019, as I was dealing with my son's destitution :-( 


I had made a trip out to Holton-Cum-Beckering during lockdown, but hadn't ventured into the church - but I remember reading that there was info there, so I decided to make a return trip to see if I could find out.
It's a 30 mile round trip by bicycle, and I somehow got a puncture on the way home... more on that later.





Look up inside the church porch, and there's a bird skeleton trapped in some chicken wire. Across the road, there's a dovecote with no doves in it, so for peace painting, I think it's a good idea to replace those doves!




I do not know if these graves belong to any conscientious objectors, and there was no one around to ask!




I do like to see stained glass windows in churches with images of saints and Jesus, not the red arrows, which I have come to refer to as the dead arrows, as flying military aircraft during a global pandemic and a climate crisis is now an obsolete activity.

Much better for airfields, such as the nearby Wickenby airfield, to only be allowed to fly things such as the Air Ambulance.



These Nissen huts on the road past Wickenby airfield look very similar to the ones in photos of the Lincolnshire Conchies, where they set up the origins of the Broadbent Theatre. 




So, I somehow got a puncture on the way home, a few miles from Wickenby. I had no puncture repair kit, so I had to ride home on the flat tyre, because it was faster than walking, and being out in the wilds of Lincolnshire, I needed to get back to the city lights before it got dark.

I have since fixed the inner tube with the remaining kintsugi.
Advice from Halfords was that there is no way of fixing it, so any repair is not going to seal it. 
But I actually like the metaphor, to represent the fragility of the peace process - and all the hot air released by those with military agendas!


This will be part of my ongoing research.

No comments: