Saturday 29 April 2017

And Our Heroes Have Misplaced Their Map ...continued

I'm developing my thought processes from the initial concept of juxtaposing selected elements of pop culture within Peace Painting, through digital means via Photoshop and found images.


The black areas to the sides are the edges of a still image from Nik Kershaw's Wouldn't It Be Good video.
I don't really want to steal images, but there is online a series of really good images of Dave in a white suit with his little bro, which are perfect for editing composite images from. I have asked the photographer Greg Garry if it's OK to use them, and he said to go for it :-) 
I decided that Nik Kershaw's suit in the original video was the height of 80's fashion, so Dave should remain in his contemporary suit, so the shoulder pads were aborted like an R Tape Loading Error....

This works really well - where he's literally leaning on the edge of the video, not even within it, another image of Syrian kids playing in the bombed ruins appearing in his suit.


The same image of Dave juxtaposed with the RAF Stenigot photo


Another edited image from Chromeo, with Nik Kershaw's video ghost haunting Dave's suit!


These are the first in some other images. The other images will take images of Syrian children and take them out of their original context - in bombed out ruins, the shattered landscapes of Aleppo, and replace them into new homes - they will become poster girls and boys for imaginary films, edited into E.T. / Stranger Things / reimagined 1980s music videos, so this will follow on from these initial compositions. 
There's a reason why the paintings are on cardboard boxes....



Disclaimer: images are sourced via the Internet. I am seeking permission for their use where possible. I do not own all of the original source material, such as photos of Chromeo - which are sourced via Chromeo / Greg Garry / @livincool Emanuele D'Angelo / Youtube mostly. Youtube own nothing, mind you! 
If anyone has any issues, just send me a message and either send me something I can use, or invite me to come and get my own original source material... I actually prefer that!
For context, see Cindy Sherman's work, or Candice Breitz.

No comments: