Monday 22 June 2009

Mirrors

I've been nonchalantly researching mirrors, as I work on various things, the notion of the mirror is an integral part of the story of The Lady of Shalott.
In medieval times mirrors were made from highly polished stone, usually formed from volcanic deposits such as obsidian.

http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/online_tours/museum_and_exhibition/a_kind_of_magic/obsidian_mirror.aspx
I do love a bit of Tezcatlipocl - aka The Smoking Mirror...

An obsidian mirror is associated with witchcraft, so why is The Lady of Shalott not depicted as a witch?
Contrasted against the Victorian process of creating mirrors with a layer of silver on glass, then adapted to aluminium that forms contemporary mirrors.

What is interesting is that I've been playing with broken mirrors. Not ones that I've broken, no, pieces of broken mirror found. Apparently I should grind the mirrors up should they have stolen my soul!

Of course, at one stage I did write on my own camera "The Lady of Shalott" in reference to the fact that she sees the world through a mirror.
How mirrors are used in telescopes - Sir Lancelot at one point is described as a bearded meteor blazing a trail,
" The gemmy bridle glitter'd free,
Like to some branch of stars we see
Hung in the golden Galaxy. "

So I started to think of Lancelot as a constellation seen through a telescope. And his horse, a Trojan horse....
thinking of the phallic symbol of the telescope..... http://www.galeriepieceunique.com/infoframes/kusama5.htm
Wondering how I can represent that with Sarah Lucas in mind but moving on from the level of tabloid satirical critique.

Borges.

No comments: