Tuesday 11 December 2007

Tutorial 10th December

I had a brief tutorial with Medina, who seemed to think of it as being an installation, which I see it becoming actually. However, she also suggested something to do with mapping thoughts, pins and string, and when I say I don't want my work to be giving out signals of obsessiveness, people usually mention Isaac's loft in Heroes, with all that string and newspaper cuttings etc, so if it starts turning out like that I'm in trouble....!

No, I was writing in my dissertation a reference to the window, or "mirror" in Take On Me" where the girl has already gone into the comic book realm, but still appears as real....


in the precession of the simulacrum, she represents the viewer, who is also drawn into that world... this was with reference to Velazquez' Las Meninas, that the painting is viewed from the perspective of the subjects, the king and queen, who appear as reflections in a mirror. I was thinking of the frame in the Take On Me video that they dance in front of as being like that mirror.... so I had this idea of building that frame in my studio, so that whoever enters the space immediately becomes involved in the video; the unreal becomes real. I also came across a drawing of the view outside the studio window, that I did and never used.
I think that would be excellent juxtaposed with the other work, because in that image the real world outside the studio becomes part of this comic book world.

I am in the process of preparing everything for assessment, and as such I will not create any more work, unless I have time to draw some more aspects of the "real" world to add to that drawing... but I am considering how it will be presented in the space.

No comments: