Tuesday 16 August 2022

Cost Of Living Crisis

 

As an #ExcludedUK artist and carer, the cost of living crisis caused by austerity has been documented in this blog, with my lost wages calculator going up every year.

This year, the energy crisis has now extended to everyone else.

Over the past few years, I've variously had some issues with energy bills, and now, it's Bulb who I'm in a sort of The Sandman / Morpheus-like battle of minds with.

Of course, Bulb have gone bust, so are in no place to demand any money at all.

Once they put my bill up to £261 for a small 3 bedroom terrace house, and some support I was previously getting from City Of Lincoln Council ended in 2021, I cancelled my direct debit.

I'm still recovering financially from my youngest son's destitution in 2019, so this would bankrupt me.

The "debt" is currently -£1882.33

I'm not personally responsible for wholesale energy prices, so it isn't mine to pay.

Anyway, as the Don't Pay campaign is encouraging everyone to get together to take mass action to cancel direct debits to stop them from making ridiculous profits, here's what happens.

I pay Bulb a lower amount every month by request. They send me a link to pay, and I am still paying the bill, and every month I tell them I will reinstate the direct debit when it's at a realistic level.

I have sought help from numerous charities, none of whom have been able to help, and I've told them this.

I've also complained to Lincolnshire County Council for using carer's charities who do not actually provide any charity. The email was blocked.

Unless artists are simply paid wages, and carers are paid #wagesnotclaps, it's not realistic to demand a direct debit for £261 per month.

If my income was high enough to pay that, and if I lived in an actual mansion, then it would be no problem, but the fact is that it isn't.

If they wanted to take me to court, I'd argue this case with legal support.

So this is what you must do.

This is what everyone must do. 

On 1st October, cancel your energy direct debit.

If you're someone who can afford to pay your energy bills, and are in receipt of the £400 government grant, but don't require it, you are very welcome to commission or buy artwork from me.

You can also buy the materials on my Amazon Wishlist - I'm in the process of a series of 3 new paintings based on a trip to Monaco in 1995, so I have 3 large canvases, which were a nightmare to get home on my bike!

Thanks for your support!

I'm currently in the process of transferring my website to a new domain. This domain will include pricing packages and direct sales of work.

It will contain a blog, so this blog will transfer over there. Access to content will depend on income level, and will not be automatically free, to cover the cost of running the website, broadband internet, and other fixed costs. Here's an insight into the pricing strategy:



No comments: