Friday 5 September 2014

Back to school - and back to "work"

So, one son is back at school, the other has had Induction Day at college, and I can now get on with some work again.

I've been following the Paying Artists updates reluctantly. I fully support the campaign, but it's taking too long and isn't doing anything.

For instance, along with updates, such as the news that Jeremy Deller supports it, there'll be an event for artists to attend (currently this is at Metal, in Peterborough, a place I once considered applying for a residency, a city I'm very familiar with, as I have cousins living there; until I noticed  more conflicts of interest - mainly, no accommodation for the Time and Space residency) then there'll be a link shared to the Artists' Fees Toolkit, outlining artists' day rate fees, but yet, no fee will be offered to cover even basic costs for artists, such as travel - train tickets to Peterborough for me from Lincoln are neither hugely expensive, nor a long way to travel - it takes just over an hour - but if I was being paid for my time and expertise for the meeting, it would be covered.

"It's free" - yes, that's great, it's better than including some kind of "admin" fee or "application" fee, but train tickets aren't free. My tenancy renewal fee isn't free, and the fridge freezer has bust, and when I look at new ones, they're not free either.

And when I do cycle training, I get paid more than I do for anything to do with being an artist. On Monday, for example, I will be going to Sleaford for an instructor's meeting, for which expenses are paid. I will be using this as an opportunity to visit the NCCD. I wouldn't ordinarily go out of my way to go there otherwise. 

Here is a blog I came across that is of interest to me as I collate ideas for proposed new work at Ayscoughfee Hall Museum next year, for working with museums.

I'm interested in "seeing" Rob Flint's Flock Mnemonics at The Collection, as I intend to create something inspired by Öyvind Fahlström's Faglar i Sverige for Ayscoughfee.

No comments: